Light switch upside-down

We seem to get by with two way and intermediate switching on staircases! ;)

Edit: I didn't think to count, but 33% of my light switches could be left in either orientation.
And I hadn't even noticed!
Indeed but that is basically unavoidable in my case 55% of my 53 switches (assuming I haven't missed any) are 2 way, however when the option is there to reduce the chance of accidental plunging into darkness, why would we opt to avoid it?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thinking about this further 12 of my 15 switches in the kitchen are directly under wall cupboards or shelf which stand no chance of accidental switching in a downwards direction.
5 are 2 way so unavoidable.
4 are for under cupboard lights (of which 2 are SFCUs) so don't really matter.
3 are incidental and hidden away in a cupboard so again don't really matter - 2 for switching PIR outside lights off and one for remotely bleeding a heating airlock.

The remaining 3 gang:
2 are 2 way so unavoidable.
1 is for outside Flood.

The MK light switches changed slightly during the 1960s.

Those 'television screen' type ones.

Originally the sticky-out bit had to be at the top for OFF.

And then, around the early to mid 60s, I estimate, they changed the shape of the actual rocker slightly, so the sticky-out bit had to be at the bottom for OFF.

I can only think you refer to these when they changed from toggle to rocker
1697927598008.png
1697927530175.png

But I'm not following your description as they are switch down or push bottom in for on.

Sponsored Links
I can only think you refer to these when they changed from toggle to rocker
View attachment 317978View attachment 317977
But I'm not following your description as they are switch down or push bottom in for on.
Well, the switch in the first picture (the older one) is shown in the ON position.
And the the switch in the second picture (the newer one) is shown in the OFF position.

EDIT. I take your point about the difference between a toggle and a rocker.

Well, the switch in the first picture (the older one) is shown in the ON position.
And the the switch in the second picture (the newer one) is shown in the OFF position.
I hadn't paid any attention to the position of those switches but yes you are correct.
EDIT. I take your point about the difference between a toggle and a rocker.
If one were to imagine a toggle added to a rocker, the movement of both can be easily compared.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back