Light Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved in to a new flat and the previous owner has disconnected the wiring on some of the light switches. I suspect that there's a fault with one of the light sockets or bulb as the bulb in it is all black and rather than fix it the owner has just disconnected the wires.

So I'm going to replace that socket and the bulb but before I do I'm wondering how to rewire the switch and whether or not one socket being disconnected like this could cause one of the other sockets to stop working too.

The wiring looks like this. I've left off the earth wires but can do them too if needed (apologies for the crude diagram).

http://i.imgur.com/3V0J6FC.jpg?1

There are 2 wall sockets, one is a double and one a single switch. All of the wires are brown except the earth and the one blue wire.

Switch box 1 is the double. Switch (1) on the double switch is wired up and operates an under cabinet light. This works OK. Switch (2) is supposed to operate 4 spotlights in ceiling, one of these bulbs is all black on the outside. There are no wires in switch (2).

Switch box two is on another wall and should operate a ceiling light, this is wired up but doesn't work.

My questions are therefore could having switch (2) disconnected cause switch (3) not to work? And second where do the wires go on switch (2)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It would be difficult to say, without some testing of the circuit. If you are correct in your thinking, that they have been disconnected because of fault. Then before putting these lights back in to service, that would need to be looked at
first. Replacing switch plates and lamps/bulbs is unlikely to resolve a fault on the circuit.

Your diagrams show wires connected to L1 and L2, and nothing in COM.

Any switch would need wire(s) in COM and wire(s) in L1 and/or L2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back