light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can any one help i am trying to take a feed from a hall light switch to a lamp the wires in the switch are 2 red - 1 blue 1 black and 1 yellow 1 green the wires to the lamp are 1 brown and 1 blue 1 green. the new switch has to plates on the back each with 3 terminals could anyone tell me how to connect the switch

Sponsored Links
Please tell us why ?

Are you thinking of running to a 2nd switch, is it a new light position, is it just changing the switch ?

I can't understand your post, so can't help until you make things clear. What are you attempting to achieve ?

Have you checked the wiring diagrams in the 'Wiki' (see top title, at top of page- click wiki, electrics uk, lighting).

Lets have some clarification.
Here's what I think you have

You have an existing switch
It is a one gang switch
It switches on a light somewhere
There is also another switch that also switches on that light.
You have two cables going into the switch
One two core and earth and another three core an earth

Correct so far?

So what are you trying to do?
My guess is you are trying to power and switch an additional light from that switch?
If all of the above is correct you cannot do it like that as there is no neutral in your switch box.

But please confirm above and also what wires are connected where in your existing set up - BEFORE you disconnect anything.

can any one help i am trying to take a feed from a hall light switch to a lamp the wires in the switch are 2 red - 1 blue 1 black and 1 yellow 1 green the wires to the lamp are 1 brown and 1 blue 1 green. the new switch has to plates on the back each with 3 terminals could anyone tell me how to connect the switch

I am trying to take a feed from the light switch in the hall to a outside lamp the switch at the moment is a single switch but i have bought a double switch but need to know what wires go where

Sponsored Links

I am trying to take a feed from the light switch in the hall to a outside lamp the switch at the moment is a single switch but i have bought a double switch but need to know what wires go where

Thank you very much for putting me right,

see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=204096

I think my post on there covers your requirement. See the diagrams and ignore all the existing switch wiring, you can't add on to it- you will need a new switch wire and a new feed from the nearest ceiling rose to the new lamp area.

If none of the above makes sense, get a pro to do the work- please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back