Lighting issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other week we came home to no lights, I assume something happened whilst we were out.

I saw the fuse wire had broke so I changed the fuse wire, on switching back on the fuse blew immediately. We had heard rodent visitors in the kitchen extension roof space so assumed a chewed wire. The other day I took all the facia boards of and there was definitely a rat problem which I have started to clear but no sign of a chewed wire.

I then took the bulb from the last light on the circuit (I think) as it looked blown and removed kitchen light (2nd to last light in the circuit I think) as that was a cheap light fitting.

I then put a new fuse wire in. Nothing blew but no lights came on. I then put the sus blown bulb back in and it came on and the fuse wire did not blow. However, this light would not switch off and no other lights would come on in the house.

What's my next move?

Sponsored Links
Im not a sparkie, but the easy thing to check is the light switch.
Does it work, are the wires connected.

I have changed the switch. That light at the end of the circuit now works and switches on and off. However, none of the other lights are working.

Silly question time. As I said I have removed the kitchen light. Does the Kitchen light need to be connected to complete the circuit. Or should the other lights come on.

Sponsored Links
I have removed the kitchen light
By Light do you mean the fitting? What kind of light is it?
Does the Kitchen light need to be connected to complete the circuit
Depends on how it has been wired. If you removed the entire fitting have you disconnected any wires which are now not connected? What kind of switch was it single/dual gang?

If rodents have been involved it may be time to get a sparky out with some test equipment as a visual check doesn't cover everything.

Cheers for the reply.

The kitchen light is just a standard 40w bulb fitting. It has a single grey cable hanging from the ceiling with the usual live, neutral and earth. I think the switch is single gang, it has space for the comm wire at the top and space for L1 and L2 at the bottom but only L1 is used.

I am going to put a new light fitting and switch in the Kitchen, if that fails it will be time to dip into my poor pockets for the Sparky. Anyone recommend a good electrician in the Chorley, Lancs area.

One more question, the wiring in the house I guess is from the 70s with the old plug in fuses. I cannot afford a rewire but have considered updating the fuse box. Is that a pointless exercise without the rewire or would it give additional safety benefits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back