Lighting - one switch & several lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put several lights on one switch.

Do i have to run a separate supply cable to each light from the junction box, or can i link each light in series terminating at the last light? If in series will the voltage drop off?

Sponsored Links
You will need to connect the lamps in Parallell Not series.then one switch can controll them all together.

as gees says they all need to be in paralell only lights on christmas trees are in series (and you know what happens if you take one of them out)

From the way the question is worded ie 'each light from a junction box'or 'linking each light in series terminating at the last light' suggests some clarification is needed.
It's not clear if the word 'series' was meant indicate how the lights are wired.
You do not need to run seperate cables from a junction box.and yes you can 'link' each light in what you may think is series terminating at the last light.ie one light after another, but not wired in series
If you made series connections the voltage across each light would be 240 volts divided by the no of lights. say 20 lights each would having 12 volts,
thought I'd just clarify in case of any misunderstanding.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Right, so let me get this straight...i can run a cable from the junction box/ceiling rose to the 1st light as normal, then run a cable from the first light to the 2nd light, and then from the 2nd light to the 3rd and then just stop at the 3rd?
I wasn't sure if i could do the above or had to run a separate cable from the JB to the 1st light, then another separate cable from the JB to the 2nd, and so on...

so long as you connect each light colour to colour then yes you can

Nice one. I'll give it a go at the weekend. Hopefully you won't see "man burns down house in Reading..." on the news!!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back