lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen lights have stopped working. I have replaced the switch and the pendant light with 5 spots - they worked for a while but now don't. I have checked the switch.

I have 3 wires power in, power out and switch ( I presume) The lives, neutrals and earths are connected to 3 plastic terminal connectors. The other side of the 3 plastic terminal connectors I have one wire with the live neutral and earth connected to the corresponding lives, neutrals and earths of the 3 wires mentioned above. I think this is my problem as I think I should have a switched live or neautral wire or something.

Can anyone provide me any info?
Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
one of the blacks is a switched live. You need to find which cable goes to the switch. Then connect this black directly to the light's live input (you may need another bit of terminal block). To find the switch cable, you can do a continuity test across the 2 cores, L+N of each cable, until you find the one whose continuity varies by flicking the switch. Easy with a cheap multimeter (power needs to be off to do this test)

Thanks for the reply. where does the switches red wire get connected to?
Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your time and advice. - I have done it now and its working sweet !!
Found a picture on this site that showed me.
Thanks again though.
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back