Lights Flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several of the lights :idea: in my house occasionally (three or four times in 6 months)flicker and then cut out entirely, after leaving them for a couple of hours they try and switch themselves back on, flicker and then go out again. If all lights are switched off and left for an hour or so they start to work ok again.

It only happens to a section of the circuit (Kitchen <4 spots - 60w each>, Hall <60w>, Bathroom <20w energy, 60w wall and a fan>) so appears to be isolated to one 'arm' of the circuit. These rooms are all an extension of the original house.

It seems to occur when the lights have been switched on and off frequently in a short space of time. I have managed to aggravate it by flicking the kitchen light on and off until it cuts out.

There is an old ceiling rose being used as a junction box on the circuit (not me) which I think is the spur off the light radial - could that be faulty or connections loose?

I did the bathroom lighting myself but this problem had occured once prior to this so I don't think it was me!!!

Any comments would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
loose connection which is overheating and losing contact

yes it may well be in the JB

If not a JB look in the ceiling roses.

You will have to cut away any copper which has been burnt and heat damaged. You can buy sleeving to replace any melted insulation. Buy a new JB and throw awy the old one.

Apologies for not tying up thread earlier....

I replaced all 'dodgy' JB's and ceiling rose's and that has done the trick - no problems since.

Thanks

T

Sponsored Links
Classic example of why accessories with screw terminals should be accessible.

How much fun would finding and replacing the JBs have been if they'd been between a plastered ceiling and a laminate floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back