Lights for under kitchen base units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Was wondering if anyone knows what is the best type of light to put under kitchen base units to illuminate the floor below?
Thanks
Al :)

Sponsored Links
I dont understand the question....The base unit is on the floor ie base. Were you meaning wall cabinets?

Do you mean kickboard/plinth, between floor and bottom of base unit, these obscure the legs, or will there be exposed legs, ie no kickboard.

You can fix lighting into recess cut out of plinth, or secure under base of floor units. They look very effective either way.

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
I dont understand the question....The base unit is on the floor ie base. Were you meaning wall cabinets?

I'm having my units on stainless steel legs so I want some lights for under them- just wondering if there are any type of light that are good for this purpose. I guess I want the light to be as diffuse as possible.
Thanks
Al

OK Im with you I think if I were doing this I would experiment with flourecent fittings, cheap to buy & run. You can spray paint the tube to give you a colouring (a light spraying) again its about trial & error.

This could be an area where LEDs might be useful! Perhaps fabricate a length of wood containing ultra bright LEDS of your chosen colour.

If not, a few fluorescent strip lamps. If you want the emitted light to simply stay under the cabinets, mount the lamps on their side, with the tube towards the back. If you want the light to spread across the floor, mount the lamp at the back, with the tube facing forwards.

Beware you will see imperfections in your DIY floor tiling if you do this! ;) :LOL:

Are you absolutely sure you want to illuminate all those bits of crud that inhabit kitchen floors? (Or will you stick to a rigorous cleaning regime? :) )

dingbat said:
Are you absolutely sure you want to illuminate all those bits of crud that inhabit kitchen floors? (Or will you stick to a rigorous cleaning regime? :) )
exactly, it might look good in the magazines and showrooms, but in a REAL kitchen thats actually used . . . . :rolleyes: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back