lights in conservatory - Routing cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

this question relates to my first post:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=153332&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

We have decided that if possible we'd like to add 2 more wall lights (either connecting them to the JB that lead to the existing light, or straight from the existing light) in the newly enlarged conservatory, I'm all OK on the wiring what to what side of it, but whats concerning me is the regs on the concealed cable and conduit etc. and I'd like to get it clear 'cos because the walls are soon to be plasterboarded over and plastered (they probably won't quite end up 50mm deep).
I've read various info from links on other posts and think I have taken it all in, but would appreciated it loads if someone could clarify it a bit for me?

I've done a drawing below to help explain.
lightswiring.jpg

I've already added another switch beside the new doorway, but I used pvc conduit to lead down the wall and go under the floor then pvc conduit again to lead back up to the switch. Am I right in thinking this is going to have to be earthed steel conduit instead (or even armoured)?

Also, it must be steel conduit from the new lights leading to the cavity at the top, under the upstairs floorboards, yes?

And you can't run a cable vertically, then horizontally, then vertically again on the wall, even if in steel conduit?
The reason I ask that is because the roof of the conservatory slopes at the left hand side so would obscure the route into the upper cavity for the light on the left.
You must go through the cavity at the top/bottom, yes?

Whats the usual way of doing the lights in conservatories, plz any url's etc.:) ?

Thanks in advance for your help, answers and opinions. ;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry if this is a dumb answer, but why not RCD the circuit and then you don't have to worry about mechanical protection for your concealed cables - just as long as they are run in the safe zones (which are vertically or horizontally from an accessory and within 150 mm from top of ceiling or corner of wall.

SB

Thanks Sparkybird, good answer! :D
I hadn't actually thought of an RCD, and really it seems an obvious one now you point it out! :oops:
My thoughts were tracked onto safe zones/conduit etc.
Thanks greatly for pointing that out.

chopchop. ;)

Sponsored Links
Correct me if im wrong but if the cable is mechanically protected or 50mm below the service of the surface of the wall, the cable can take any path you want?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back