Limescale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had limescale on taps, basin & bath waste and the draining board always dried with a white powder effect all over it. My sister near high wycombe said they don't work and has an expensive type under sink which has to be recharged with special salts which is not cheap.

I am in north lincolnshire (anglianwater), I decided to buy an electronic decalcifier off ebay, cost about £12 plus £3.99 for a simple power adapter, 2 lengths of cable coil around the incomming copper water pipe near stop tap.
I used a tester and found it costs about £10 a year to run (depends on your electric unit costs and the size of power adapter, I use a universal 300ma at 12v DC).

My wife told me it works and she is thick but I also noticed the white powder on draining board was no longer there, wastes stay scale free and very little on taps so we are very happy at the price. I read it is best to keep hot water thermostat below 60 degrees as scale increases at 60 degrees, I set mine at 55 degrees.

We also add soda crystals to each wash as I understand this increases power of detergent and helps prevent limescale. I still have a problem with limescale in bottom of toilet bowl which harpic can't touch.

Sponsored Links
Try the Antony worrall Thompson limescale remover sold at Waitrose which is very good and has been recommended by Which Magazine. :D

tesco bathroom cleaner, works on our bath, but in your case you will need a loo brush to agitate it (the limescale)

So where is the limescale going then?

What process do you think your magic box is carrying out?

Sponsored Links
simond, no please dont ask that question.

pond owners have been having this debate for years, they also put magnets on pipework.

there is no definative answer, but most official independant reports say its just a waste of money, no matter which unit you buy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back