Lining a chimney for an open fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in an old house and unfortunately the lining on my chimney has gone, allowing the smoke to spill into an adjacent flue.

To solve this I am looking to get the chimney lined but keep an open fire; I already have a stove in the next room along and fancied keeping the open fire.

If I am to get someone in to line the chimney with a stainless steel liner is there a minimum width this should be? I will be getting in a HETAS qualified person to do the work, so know that they should know, but would also like to know before hand to be sure....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any time smoke or fumes leak into an adjacent flue either through a "feather" or a party wall you have a serious problem that must be safely resolved.
Irrespective of whether you intend to use a liner (or any liners are in place) the chimney breast should be opened up at the point of leakage, and any defective brickwork made good.
After repairs the flues must be swept, and smoke tested.

Allow the HETAS to make the calls on liner diameter and anything else connected with your flues and fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back