lining paper removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me is it always necessary to remove wallpaper and lining paper before redecoration, just decorated a staircase and lining paper underneath seemed quite sound.

Sponsored Links
hi,generaly yes,if you want a good finish and no lifting of the paper under neath..jj

jeff4of said:
hi,generaly yes,if you want a good finish and no lifting of the paper under neath..jj
agree jeff. But have to confess I have come across linning which is sound and have papered over ok. Though I did come unstuck once where the linning bubbled and didnt go back :oops:

confidentincompetent said:
jeff4of said:
agree jeff. But have to confess I have come across linning which is sound and have papered over ok. Though I did come unstuck once where the linning bubbled and didnt go back :oops:

Always a risk....plus the corners are normally in a mess too, I wouldnt take a job on no matter how much the customer offered. It isnt worth the grief

I always tell people 'you might get away with it.....you might not'....the only way you'l know is when the paper is up..and then it might be too late.

Ive sen bubbles the size of circus tents form on walls....and they wont go back.

Had a customer recently who asked me to paper over woodchip........with a finish paper....the look on my face must have said it all....their next words were....'well you might as well strip it then'

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for that! its just i cant get my head round the fact that you can line a wall and paper over it, but you always have to remove lining paper to paper over it if that makes sense. :confused:

I would make more sense if the word lining aper was swapped with backing paper..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back