Load bearing beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to open up a room by removing an internal wall. The wall is load bearing.

How do I select/calculate a suitable I beam size? Is there a table anywhere as there is for floor joist?

The wall is 4.5 m wide. The opening will be 2m wide.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
No. This si not a plumbing question. I require a load bearing beam. Where should I post the question?

This work needs Building Control approval. You need a structural engineer to look at this and prepare the drawings/calculations.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advise.

I have notified the build control people. They are asking for calculation details hence my question.

I have found tables showing the maximum spans allowed for various timber sizes but cannot find anything in repct of I beams.

Can I not calculate this myself?

You really need to know what you are doing here otherwise a partially demolished house.

Check with building control but I think you now need calcs to be signed off by a Chartered Structural Engineer.

just look at the bricks its supporting....look at the beams and choose one u r happy with ;) :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back