Load Bearing Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing a 3.5 metre load bearing wall between a kitchen and small sitting room. The wall supports only the floor joists above. The upstairs rooms are studded walls and the load of the roof is on the external walls. My question is, Which is the best way to prop the ceiling, the ground floor is solid. Could I use 4 acrows 2 each side and scaffold boards on top of acros to support the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
I assume what you are saying is that the floor joists from the above rooms are making this wall "load bearing"? if so then what you propose is quite right!
Intrigued to know what you are putting back in place to support the floor joists after wall removed.

Also just a note, this is a notifiable job as the wall is loadbearing, that wouldnt generally bother a lot of people, me included,however i have just copped missing a sale on my house because the 15year old, no crack visible, solid as a brick @@house archway in a similar load bearing wall was picked up on the ppotential purchasers survey as not having building regs certification...Ive now got that as it will crop up again as i am still trying to sell.

Just a note of warning!!

Russell

Sponsored Links
Hi Rusellsmiler I will be using a RSJ or maybe a single internal wall Catnic. Need to get advice on which is best for a 3.5 metre span, the lintel will be at right angles to the external cavity wall/ internal wall.Also not sure what type of padstones to use , Concrete or engineered brick. Any way thanks for all who have replied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back