locating central heating pump

Sponsored Links
The statement is simply a reassurance that X400 doesn't cause harm from prolonged contact with the insides of yer system, but the point to remember is that it doesn't protect the system from further corrosion, so if you leave it for long enough then it will become as if you'd never added it.

I'm as sure I can be (given that it's outside Sentinel office hours) that the sentence you've found isn't supposed to imply that you can leave it in without draining and refilling with inhibitor - the latter is what Sentinel recommend (on the very page that you found) and is what should be done.

On a mildly dirty system I generally leave the cleaner in for a day, but on Christina Aguilera's pipework I'd leave it in for the whole week.

but everbody needs drain valves!

you can get these for a few pounds each depending what you have at each end of your rads

p1050790_l.jpg

edited: as you say you have the twin-entry microbore you would need something else... I bet someone will be along in a minute who knows what to use

However with the Magnaclean you don't have to keep emptying and flushing the water out with the suspended sediment, because the sediment in the water gets trapped and taken out of circulation.

The Magnaclean sounds like a really good system. And yes, it would be really good to find some drain valves for the rads. My rads all look like this at the twin-entry end

twinentryvalve.jpg

and this at the other end

endvalvesmall.jpg

Any suggestions anyone?

I have only used X400 once, but I have since been mulling over the idea that the original reason for the drain and flush was to wash out all the loosened sediment in thick black sludgy water.

the magnaclean has made the water clear and trapped all the circulating black. Each time I look at the magnet, it has trapped some, but there is less each time.

So I have been considering the idea that leaving X400 in (with X100 or other inhibitor) would continue loosening whatever traces of sludge are left in the system during normal operation, which the Magnaclean would continue to accumulate. No flush or clean seems to get everything out; there is always a bit left.

I notice though that there are faint traces of brown, which are weakly attracted to the magnet and seem to be washed away in service by the flow of water, but can be seen forming rings if you stand the magnet in a bucket of the water or in the F&E.

Sponsored Links
The Magnaclean isn't the magnet to Damascus - don't forget that some of the gunk in the system will be diamagnetic, e.g. solder, flux, flakes of paint, brass swarf, copper filings, loft insulation, wasps, bird feathers, and mouse bones.

Unfortunately the contents of my wetvac are sometimes too odious for me to hold the camera steady.

Maybe next time - but here's a nice photo to satisfy your need in the meantime...

KittensBlackMay06.jpg

why do some cats poke their tongues out? Stumpy does it too.

I have no idea - one of mine does it when he's particularly content.

What a great photo.. I'll have to show my girlfriend.. she'll love it!

Well it's better than my twin-valves! Time for bed.. thanks for everyone's advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back