Locating mains incomer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The iron water pipe that serves my house is leaking, caused by a big tree over it (on my property).
If I dig a trench round the tree, the Water Co. will supply & connect up a new pipe.
The incoming mains cable, and gas pipe, are also under the front lawn somewhere! Routes unknown.
Ought I to contact the Elec. & Gas Co's before I start digging, would they be able to locate them. House built 1953.
Hope this is on the right forum Moderator?

Sponsored Links
the water co. and anyone that digs up roads, will have an all-in-one detector and will mark out before digging commences, where the known services are.

EDIT sorry didnt realise you are diying the hole, how are you digging it? if by hand, you shouldn't damage it, unless you are going a bit over-zealous! It might be best to see if the water co. will send someone with a detector before you begin.

they will have CATs with them (not the type with claws!) which will show where they are

i'd think if you go reasonablly carefull with a nice blunt spade you should be fine

Sponsored Links
Hire a C.A.T with a signal generater from your local tool hire company .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back