Location of boiler in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are moving house and are taking part in a part-ex deal with the builders of our new home. As part of the deal we were required to get gas appliances safety checked.

We got a guy who had just installed a gas fire for us (very well i may add) to do the checks. He has stated it is "at risk" as it is too close to the kitchen sink without being boxed in. The appliance wasn't turned off but he told my wife that the regulations changed a few years ago.

Where do I stand with it now with the house going on the market ? Am I obliged to box it in and if I don't would I suffer any recourse ?

Am I entitled to something from British Gas who have had the boiler on a service plan for 5 years and haven't said a thing about it ?

Many thanks in advance

Richard

Sponsored Links
if the appliance being checked is a wall mounted boiler i don't think there is a minimum distance that is should be from a sink as the electrics are all enclosed

Looks ok to me.

Nearly the exact same position as my own boiler which was checked on a Corgi work inspection for those of a doubting persuasion on this board.

Sponsored Links
What would you guys suggest ? Get a second opinion ?? I don't fancy paying someone for another test but it grates me that there is apparently a problem when there isn't !!

Thanks

Richard

What would you guys suggest ? Get a second opinion ?? I don't fancy paying someone for another test but it grates me that there is apparently a problem when there isn't !!

Thanks

Richard

Unless there is something we are obviously missing then I can't honestly see a problem with this installation.

You could go for a second opinion but frankly I doubt you need one.

You could always wait to see if you get pulled up by the potential purchaser's surveyor/Corgi guy then box it in, that way you won't have to pay for two engineers.

thanks tonybhoy,

problem is we have to provide the safety report to the builders who are buying the house from us (then selling it on). Also there is a big red sticker on the boiler...

thanks tonybhoy,

problem is we have to provide the safety report to the builders who are buying the house from us (then selling it on). Also there is a big red sticker on the boiler...

Looks to me as though yer man is confused with the bathroom requirements for gas appliances installed there but even in that case the boiler can still be installed in that position above a wash basin as long as someone standing in a bath (of water) can't touch the boiler.

Looks like a second opinion is required for the safety cert.

i would solve the problem by removing the sticker and selling the house, if you need to get a safety certificate to sell the house discuss it with the CORGI engineer when you get him in and make sure he knows the regs and issues a certificate which will be fine, (assuming as others have said that we aren't missing anything else from the info given or photo) i have never seen any restrictions in any MI's with regards to dimensions from sink to boiler, in fact you can have a socket at the side of a sink which is potentially more dangerous than a boiler, i think your gas guy wasn't sure what he was doing

Thanks Kirkgas,

The Corgi guy was there to do the certificate and gave us one but stated on the "details" section that "Boiler needs to have cupboard built around it, too close to basin", and then put the sticker on the boiler.

The main thing that annoyed me is that the sticker says the item shouldn't be used which is rubbish....

Would it be a good idea to discuss it with Corgi on Monday ?

Thanks Kirkgas,

The Corgi guy was there to do the certificate and gave us one but stated on the "details" section that "Boiler needs to have cupboard built around it, too close to basin", and then put the sticker on the boiler.

The main thing that annoyed me is that the sticker says the item shouldn't be used which is rubbish....

Would it be a good idea to discuss it with Corgi on Monday ?

Corgi will back the guy up .To err on the safety side is not a fault or a gas safety issue.

All Corgi will tell you is that the guy is maybe a tad over zealous in interpreting the gas regs.

they won't back the guy up if he has wrongly classified a situation and advised that an appliance is unsafe when it clearly is ok, but they should be able to clarify the situation is ok and should take it up with the guy as he isn't competent (BUT THEY WON'T) there is nothing wrong with a gas engineer erring on the side of caution to get something clarified etc but it is wrong to classify as ID or AR if it isn't due to lack of information/skill

Totally agree with you KG but the point re Corgi remains as you point out which is basically they won't do anything because it really isn't a gas safety issue.

Phone corgi, and they'll say it isn't a gas safety issue and as such an AR sticker isn't appropriate. Get the name of the guy you speak to - I always do. It may be an electrical infringement, but that's another matter.

Looks like the guy has a fairly recent corgi number.....

Hi all, just to give some closure to this. I called Corgi who said that there were no regulations relating to the boiler in the kitchen. I then called the Corgi engineer and explained my call to Corgi. he was very good about it and promised to call Corgi.

15 minutes later he called to say that he had called Corgi and had been too cautious. He's coming tomorrow to give us a fresh signoff sheet.

At the end of the day I'd rather have someone too cautious than not at all and he was very honest with the situation at the end.

Many thanks for all your assistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back