Location of corner post with bi-fold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am shortly to embark on (paying for) building a single storey extension, which will include bi-fold doors on two sides, meeting in the corner. (Steels above). The walls aren't all doors - they're roughly half brick, and half door.
The roof will be supported at this corner point by a steel post, the calc's for which have been approved.
However, the post (100 x 100) is in line with the inner leaf of blocks.
I would like it in line with the outer leaf, so the doors will effectively be flush with the outside, with a recess on the inside, rather than vice-versa.
Assuming the door frames are approx. 75mm wide, this arrangement should work.
However, do the doors need bringing further back? - I heard they need to cover the cavity by a small distance. If this is the case, then the post will need packing out, effectively increasing its size.
The engineer has come up with some suggestions to allow the post to move to the external corner, but I don't want to over-cook it & end up having to increase its size to accommodate the door frame. He has also asked if I'm happy with a 150x150 post as this apparently makes connections with the PFCs easier, but I want to minimise the size of the corner post.
In summary, considering the above, where is the best location for the corner post?

Sponsored Links
Have you got a designer doing you some Building Regs drawings or is this being done on a Notice? Are you self building or are you employing a builder?

The devil is in the detail the column should ideally have a little insulation wrapped around it before it is hidden within the column cladding, 150x150 is oversized, get him to slim it down and be more imaginative with his connections, normally the windows will be set back say 50mm and so if you want the column flush on the outside then allow for the cladding and a little insulation and that will determine the position of the column.

If the build permits, its possible to have no post at all though this needs a more clever design approach to get a cantilever system to work and deeper pockets of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back