Lock change after house move - yes/no? Easy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a house move should you change the locks on the external doors?

I've asked my insurer who said they won't pay for the lock changed unless you've lost keys etc.

I've asked a local locksmith for a cost of changing 2 locks/barrels on UPVC multi lock doors and been quoted £100 or £140 to have then both as this same key (preferable for convenience), does this seem reasonable cost? Seems expensive to me, not sure how much actual locks are, if easy to replaced myself?

Which type and make to buy and from where?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What type of locks are they? Euro barrels, Yale locks or other types?

Take photos if you don't know so people can let you know.

Most locks can be changed pretty easily and cheaply yourself.

Euro barrels can be changed in about 5 minutes once you have the correct size, and Yale type night latches can be changed equally easily :)

Definatley worth doing and easy to do yourself.
Biggest decision is the quality of the locks you want.
I would recommended these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UAP-Keyed...UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&var=&hash=item1c32686258
or if your happy to pay a bit more you could go for ABS locks which would be about £100.

The ebay link also shows you how to measure the locks. Just take out the one fixing screw on the side of the door and turn the key about a quarter of a turn (one way or the other) and the lock will slide out.
Do check that both of your locks are the same size! They may well not be.
Also check that the current locks do not protrude from the handle by more than 3mm or so.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
What type of locks are they? Euro barrels, Yale locks or other types?

Take photos if you don't know so people can let you know.

Most locks can be changed pretty easily and cheaply yourself.

Euro barrels can be changed in about 5 minutes once you have the correct size, and Yale type night latches can be changed equally easily :)

...'I've asked a local locksmith for a cost of changing 2 locks/barrels on PVC multi lock doors and been quoted £100 or £140 to have then both as this same key'...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back