Lockoffs - what & where to buy ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title - can someone suggest where to buy some lockoffs, and even more importantly, what I need to buy ? I did have a look on http://www.safetyshop.com/ (suggested in another thread on here), but there seems to be a bewildering array of options :confused:

First off, some for MCBs/RCBOs like these with a gap of 8mm between the case sides where the toggle is.

Second, for this service switch. The toggle is about 16-17mm wide and does have a hole in it.

I tried my local distributors this morning. One had none at all. The other had some for MCBs (which didn't really fit as they were for much wider gaps), but nothing else - they can get me some in a couple of weeks though !

Sponsored Links
Masterlock any good ? Most decent wholesalers should be able to get them.

Lockoffs are largely unnecessary for domestic work, since a far better and safer option is to remove the circuit wires from the RCBO (and the neutrals from the neutral bar for MCBs/fuses) and connect them temporarily to the earth bar, then replace the consumer unit cover.

This won't take any extra time anyway, since the same wires would have to be disconnected before any testing is done.

Most of the pin types and clamp types can be removed fairly easily without tools anyway, and while people shouldn't do this, legal action against those who remove them won't help you when you are dead.

Or drop the tail out of the supply switch and replace the terminal cover ?

Sponsored Links
What a brilliant idea, turn off the whole house including freezers, computers, SKY plus recording etc while you change a light pendant.
Well if you look back to the very first post, you'll see that I was asking about a lockoff for the supply switch - I'd only be wanting to do that while working in the CU. Since there is nothing running at the moment (apart from the heating and that'll do without for a few hours), it's not a problem to knock the whole lot off for the duration.

For this particular one, I'm swapping out the MCBs for RCBOs.

Though looking back, I can see why you might think I'd be suggesting this for minor stuff - since I didn't differentiate when making that comment between locking off a circuit at the MCB (while working elsewhere on that circuit) and locking off the whole supply (while working in the CU).

Interesting wiring of that isolator switch. Obviously been sealed by the DNO (upper cover) but why provide a double pole switch & then only use one pole of it, providing a solid joint for the neutral.

I know DNO's can be a law unto themselves, but........

Interesting wiring of that isolator switch. Obviously been sealed by the DNO (upper cover) but why provide a double pole switch & then only use one pole of it, providing a solid joint for the neutral.

I know DNO's can be a law unto themselves, but........
Perhaps one of the experts can answer that one - it's the same for the flats next door as well, except that they also have a switch-fuse (DP switch) as well as (CU more than 2m from meter). Am I missing something when I think that having two switches at the meter is a bit overkill ?

Just for good measure, I always though water and electrics don't mix very well - and the idea of sticking electrical stuff outside in the weather for no good reason is a bit questionable. The box clearly isn't weatherproof :eek:

The isolator at the meter was introduced to remove the need for electricians to break mater and cutout seals to work on the tails to and in the CU.
When they were in use it was common to install a new supply in a viewing cabinet before the wiring was complete, with the electrician connecting to the isolator when the wiring was complete.

Trouble was they are only a single screw terminal so often would come loose or not be tightened in the first place.
This led to a number of cases where the neutral was lost on a PME supply!

So in some RECs they were done away with

they probably got into the habit when they used to isolate by taking the Company Fuse out.

No better and no worse.

edited: I take westie101's point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back