Lockshield valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old radiator in the kitchen next to the fridge, which is understandably off, that I want to make sure is closed at both ends.

At one end there is the regulator (wheelhead valve?) so that's fine - that's obviously off.

At the other end there is a plastic cap. Under that there is a nut (well like a nut, but closed at the top - not sure what these are called - blanking nut/screw?). Undo that with a spanner and underneath in the recess is a screw. I haven't done anything with the screw. So far no water coming out.

What is this valve and how do I know if it is closed?

Quite possibly it is already closed, I just want to make sure.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
sorry but your description doesnt really make sence ? can you post a pic and we will be better equipped to advise you

Sounds a bit like a Mk1 or Mk2 Pegler Belmont one-pipe valve or a Drayton.
Photo would be good, preferably in focus, and any branding on the valve.

Drayton LS with metal cap:
Danfoss%20TRV%20%2B%20LS_wpdp.jpg

Remove cap, turn slot fully clockwise for off.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't touch that screw if I were you! Those scredriver type lockshields are not known for their water tightness after they are disturbed :LOL:

Don't touch it, by closing the wheel head valve you have stopped the flow so rad won't warm up.

What a fun design they are, never had one seal yet.

thats why the have a tight fitting cap! (to stop the water leak after you have turned the regulation screw!) :rolleyes:

Thank you all.

Before posting I searched the internet high and low to find this kind of valve, but couldn't. I knew you guys on here would know, and I thank you for the insight. So this is a lockshield/balancing valve. I am crazy and did a power flush of the CH system (ex. boilder) on Friday and wanted to isolate this radiator since it won't ever be used (if the kitchen is ever redone to include a radiator it would be a new one). In the end I don't know if it is closed on that side or not because I didn't want to mess with this screw (rightly so it would seem).

Thank you again for your expertise :)

P.s. Sorry for not posting a pic, I had already moved back the fridge, it was late and I was due to start the power flush early the next morning.

thats why the have a tight fitting cap! (to stop the water leak after you have turned the regulation screw!) :rolleyes:

Yeah, obviously.

Why bother designing it properly in the first place, when you can just hide the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back