loft conversion and fitch beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys this is my 1st post . im looking into the poserbilerty of a loft conversion to our house the loft mesures 18ft wide and due to a mass of over head wires out side craneing in a stell rsj is a no go so am looking into fitch beams has any one got any advice on them size ect ect ?

Sponsored Links
My loft design has passed regs using wood beam not sure on size a structural eng has plans currently.
Can be a bit harder work to pass as apparently there have standard RSJ calc where as timber is more involved
my new joists will come off current wall plates then built from there
and no party wall act to worry about

Sponsored Links
18' long bits of 9x3 and wobbly 15mm plate is just as awkward to get into a loft and then bolt together

no plates just timber apparently, but not seen final drawings after passed off.
only issue i was aware off was the gallows bracket for the chimney stack due to being out off standard criteria for a gallows.

thanx for the help guys just looked at a friends loft and hes got 3 12x2s bolted togather with a steal plate (fich) in the middle hes is spaning 17ft 9inch and it seams rock solid .... and hes useing 9x2 floor joists to span 15ft to once again the floor is rock soild .... im skiming it for him over the next 2 weekends so if its bouncing all over the place ill find out then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back