Loft conversion and regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to convert the loft with a dorma etc.

Do I have to have landing and fire doors? Or is there any why I can have the stairs just going directly into the loft with a balustrade?

I am happy to call it a loft and not a bedroom etc!!

Sponsored Links
You must have a fire door, it can be at the bottom of the stairs though so you can just have the stair arriving at loft level.

If you are complying with Building Regs then you must have a door there is no workaround. Even if you don't use it as a bedroom the next occupants will.

If you fit a stair then it will be assumed that you (or the next occupant) will use it as a bedroom and that will trigger the need for complying with Building Regulations. If no permanent stair is fitted then no need for Regs.

Sponsored Links
So does a drop down stair count as permanent?

But then there is no real money saved!!

I am just trying to think of a way of getting the loft more usable without doing it all at once...as the that comes at a high price tag!!

A drop down stair is effectively a loft ladder so that is not permanent so that would be permitted and would avoid the requirement for getting approval. Note anything structural you do in the loft must comply and be approved irrespective of whether it is a full blown stair conversion or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back