Loft conversion flooring question

I actually thought the first ones look OK, I wouldn't use the second as the heads are too small - they're some sort of hidden screw that would be for a finished floor rather than chipboard aren't they?

Wont that design allow for the smooth shaft to remove jacking and then the final threaded bit to stop the board squeaking against the screw?

Sponsored Links
I actually thought the first ones look OK, I wouldn't use the second as the heads are too small - they're some sort of hidden screw that would be for a finished floor rather than chipboard aren't they?
Yes. I've used them on plywood flooring which was to be overcoated with flowed-on resin (2-pack) flooring and where the requirement was for minimal filling as that interferes with the resin

Wont that design allow for the smooth shaft to remove jacking and then the final threaded bit to stop the board squeaking against the screw?
Yes, that's what they are meant to do. They work better than chipboard screws in environments where you can't guarantee holding the board down adequately to avoid jacking (or where screwing unpiloted and/or using a lower powered drill). I've screwed down enough 18/22mm chip and plywood flooring with collated flooring screws (square drive, full thread, no reverse thread at the top) to know that with full thread ("chipboard") screws requires a goodly amount of downwards pressure to avoid jacking

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back