loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a little advice please, i'm doing a loft conversion soon and i need to know if the joists need bolting together on the overlaps in the center, and also the the new stairs that are going in are of a return type, and are going above the original ones, all the clearence's are ok do i just screw them to the walls or will it be better to sit them on some joists across the walls, the original stairs run up the center of the house.

thanks bill :confused:

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you're saying but before we go any further,have you got any planning or building permission ?

I wrote to the council and i dont need planning permission but i need building regs which i have got on cd, when i span the joists across the load bearing walls and they overlap in the center do they need bolting together to keep them from moving, as with the stair case it will fit between the two load bearing walls snugly,do i just screw the stair to the wall or will i have to put a couple of joists in the wall to help support it.

Sponsored Links
billybob said:
building regs which i have got on cd
You should really have a drawing plan passed by building control department for you to follow otherwise the building inspector can be fussy and keep condemning your work which can be a nightmare.If you follow the drawing it would keep everybody happy.
when i span the joists across the load bearing walls and they overlap in the center do they need bolting together to keep them from moving
You can but normally herringbone structure will prevent that.
as with the stair case it will fit between the two load bearing walls snugly,do i just screw the stair to the wall or will i have to put a couple of joists in the wall to help support it.
Without seeing it,normally the staircase have to have 3 joists bolted together (which is known as trimmer) with timber connector tie into another 3 joists bolted together.Also you must have a correct headroom height.Again all this would be on your drawing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back