Loft Flies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Have had loft flies for 4-5 years, someone has suggested putting up builders paper on the joist to allow the loft still to breathe whilst stopping the flies.
Does anyone know if this works?
Also any other suggestions on how to get rid of existing flies?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
also remove the dead birds, mice and squirrels that they feed on.

I have recently been using Cypermethrin insecticides, they are usually sold as sprays for ants and cockroaches, or against moths. They leave a film of dried poison on hard surfaces, that kills insects through their feet when they walk on it. You would have to get the loft clean first as I doubt it would work well on a layer of dust.

I got some "Doff" brand in Tescos at £1 per litre spray bottle; most brands are more expensive, but Wilkinson's are selling some off at half price in their Garden shelf clearance.

It seems to me to be very effective, and I understand it is less environmentally damaging than other insecticides. the bottle indicates you can also spray it into the air like an aerosol against flies and wasps, so that will help.

There is also a variety of fly I used to get in a country attic that comes in through cracks, I forget what it is, but they seem to be able to smell where they were in previous years, perhaps they come in to try to hibernate. I think you have to clean them up very thoroughly to prevent another lot coming in. I used to hoover them up in winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back