loft flooring for storage plank obstruction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.. im in the process of laying chipboard in the loft for storage... there is a long plank of wood going right across the top of the rafters just before the roof support timber is joining the rafters on both sides of the loft..... are these important to keep in place or can the planks be taken out as they are obstructing where I want to lay the floor
same as this picture here on this link
http://www.loft-storage-nw.co.uk/media/loaftboard2.JPG
see the planks going along the side of the flooring...are these planks safe to be removed
this isn't my loft by the way but my loft is exactly the same as the picture

Sponsored Links
Why dont you post a pic of your loft?

Generally speaking, its best to be cautious and butt you flooring pieces up to the lengths of 2" x 4"(?).

Beware of overloading the bottom chord of your trusses.

thanks ree.... I didn't post a pic as no point as my loft is exactly the same as the loft in the picture..... could I also ask advice on laying the chipboard flooring....ive nearly finished laying it all in the middle of the loft.....would I be ok in laying it to the right and left of the loft aswell where the roof gets narrower towards the floor... its 18mm chipboard

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back