Loft Flooring Queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered in many topics but iv been searching around and have a couple of questions

on the B&Q website they have the loft boards at 1220X365x18

Pack of 3

they also have large boards of chipboard of 1819x607x18

Large Panels

Are these pretty much the same material just that the loft boards come in packs of three and can be slotted together

Can i just get the large planks of chipboard and lay them across the joists at 90 degrees and secure them do i use 1.5 inch screws?

they are pretty much the same price but the sheets are larger

Sponsored Links
Can you get them into the loft?
Yes they'll be more or less the same material.
In fitting the loft boards together there's a better opportunity to glue the joints.
I would have thought that 1.5 " screws will be adequate.
Make note of any cable or pipe runs and mark it on the boards for future reference.
Also you'll need to support the ends of the larger panels whereas the boards will fit together.

Sorry edited when I realised you'd included the size.

the length will also have a bearing on whether you can get them in.

Sponsored Links
The big ones are 8 ft x 2 ft (approx)

the big ones are better, as they have fewer joints they are stronger. They are also far cheaper. I can just get them in my hatchback car with the seats down. but they stick out the back.

before you buy a lot, buy one and see how easy it is to get in the loft. I can just manage it but it is a bit of a struggle and I have to have a rest after each one. As well as the hatch size, you have the angle of the ladder, obstructions inside, and your own strength to consider as the big ones are obviously heavier.

you can trim the big ones round minor obstructions when laying, but if you have to do a lot, you may find the little ones less trouble.

while you are doing the job, you might consider increasing the insulation and laying counterbattens so you can get more insulation depth under the flooring. You should leave a slight gap for air circulation to prevent condensation.

im not going to fully cover the whole floor and i won;t be doing it in one go, will be doing it over a period of time and will not likely get right into the corners

i might consider putting some insulation down prior to flooring

but If i can use the bigger ones i might try one and see how i get on

cheers

i assume its only light stuff like the xmass decorations and the baby stuff you cant bear to throw away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back