Loft insulation - a suitable alternative to lagging for copp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a (currently) un-lagged copper pipe running from my cold cistern in the loft to the pump in the airing cupboard. The problem is that conventional lagging is going to be fiddly, with the pipe passing very close to several joists and support beams.

Can I just cover it with loft insulation instead? If not, how do I cover the gaps where I literally cannot get foam insulation on the pipe, some kind of tape and if so, what?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
The pipes contain cold water, If they have not burst in the past why worry now, if you are going to use loft insulation then make sure you have insulation under them aswell to stop the heat from below warming the water in the pipe, it is unlikely the heat in the loft in summer will cause any issues to the water in the pipe

The pipes contain cold water, If they have not burst in the past why worry now

Because I've only just installed them.

So you're saying loft insulation is a suitable alternative to pipe lagging, as long as I insulate below also?

Thanks.

Edit: this is the situation, if it helps:

5h1Kz.jpg

Looking at your picture i would say you'd be able to get Armaflex pipe lagging on there, it's not as thick, more flexible although a little more expensive, it's also easier to fit on corners as no cutting, it just bends round,

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back