loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved into a house where there is a great quantity of carpet remnants. Is this OK to be used as loft insulation between the joists?

And a supplementary question if I may...

when adding timber to raise the joists to allow deeper insulation...should these be along the exisiting joists or at right angles to them?

Also the previous occupants left behind a stack of polystyrene ceiling tiles..could these be broken up and used as loose insulation material..or would this be a fire hazard? is polystyrene ever used as loose loft insulation?

thanks

reg

Lynda, moderator

please note forum rule 20, your post has been split

Sponsored Links
err..personaly.. and im all for not doing things the "normal" way... i wouldnt... thinks what happens in a fire, all that dripping molten plastic raining down isnt a nice prospect! rather use the carpet as undelay/insulation between the floors of the house (if its awful and you dont want it seen) or stitch em together to make a patchwork carpet.... and id dump the tiles if they are of uncertain age they might be the napalm burning sort!

regvarney said:
Hi

I have just moved into a house where there is a great quantity of carpet remnants. Is this OK to be used as loft insulation between the joists?

You could do, if you're fond of wildlife. It will make a great home for mice, and insects including carpet beetle and clothes moths.

However, it won't be as good an insulator as fibreglass mat, and it will be a lot heavier so might pull the ceilings down.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
regvarney said:
Hi

You could do, if you're fond of wildlife. It will make a great home for mice, and insects including carpet beetle and clothes moths.

However, it won't be as good an insulator as fibreglass mat, and it will be a lot heavier so might pull the ceilings down.
" I hate you, Butler"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back