loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
NEW HERE want to insulate loft , am clearing out the old loft insulation as the company doing the work will take up insulation to 250mm( joits depth 150mm) using red insulation fibre. i am wondering
1 how safe is it removing the old stuff i use a dust mask and layers of old clothes and gloves ( is eye protection essential i wear glasses)?
2 is it necessary to remove old stuff ( it is from 1970s)
3. i would like to have some flooring there in teh central area of the loft for storage ) should i stick with
150 mm insulation there and floor over existing joist or should i build up joists with 100 mm of wood and cover there.
4 the company are not installing a vapor barrier i asked if they would they said no ( my bungalow was built in 1956 so doesnt have a breathble membrane felt in roof i think ) how will not having this in the roof affect the roof space >?
appreciate your help
pat

Sponsored Links
leave the old stuff where it is. Its still doing a job and it will be a mother of a job to take it out. Its probably fibre glass based as well due to the age. If you think youd itch and scratch with modern rockwool, try that stuff!

Thermo said:
leave the old stuff where it is. Its still doing a job and it will be a mother of a job to take it out. Its probably fibre glass based as well due to the age. If you think youd itch and scratch with modern rockwool, try that stuff!
ok what about the vapor barrier do you know what fucntion that might have ?

have you got a pitched roof or a flat roof, im confused now!

Sponsored Links
patrick264 said:
the vapor barrier in my diy book is says should be under the loft floor rockwool insulation.
I think you'll find that is for ground floor(?) Vapour barrier normally on the ground floor to protect moisture from the concrete oversite.

What did exactly the diy book says it was for?

SAys its to stop water vapor produced from cooking living washing etc entering the loftspace then condensing on the rafters joists etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back