Loft mounted fan driving me mad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a ceiling spot light over the shower with a duct which goes to a fan in the loft somewhere. It comes on when you switch the light on, and then stays on for about 10 minutes after switch light off. Seems like an age.

I have no access to the loft, I was wondering maybe the timer can be adjusted by switching it on/off in some kind of fashion?

Sponsored Links
Depending on which make you have it may just have 3 preset times, 10mins sounds about average. If you don't have access to the loft you are snookered, but how do you expect to maintain it.

No fan isolation switch anywhere? Thought they all had to have a switch to stop them from coming on?
Normally up high outside bathroom or in a cupboard. We turn ours off at night.
You can change wiring so it comes off and on with light only easy enough

Controls on my fan are under the cowl which twists off allowing you to set the extended run time. 10 minutes is not long after showering.

Sponsored Links
No fan isolation switch anywhere? Thought they all had to have a switch to stop them from coming on?
Normally up high outside bathroom or in a cupboard. We turn ours off at night.
You can change wiring so it comes off and on with light only easy enough

I believe the isolation switch is optional rather than mandatory. That said, I always recommend that customers have one for the reason you stated, ie, turning it off so that it doesn't run if you pop in to the loo late at night.

My extractor is set to work on humidity only (and not the light). I did however wire it so that I can use a switch inside a cupboard to turn it on if you want to get rid of smells (I ran the perm live through the switch to act as a switched live).

There is a ceiling spot light over the shower with a duct which goes to a fan in the loft somewhere. It comes on when you switch the light on, and then stays on for about 10 minutes after switch light off. Seems like an age.

Is it the noise which bothers, or the fact that it stays on? It does need to remain on a while after a shower, to clear the moisture, usually at leat 20 minutes. To limit the noise /vibration, consider rubber mounting the motor. There must be some way to access it for maintenance.

There is a ceiling spot light over the shower with a duct which goes to a fan in the loft somewhere. It comes on when you switch the light on, and then stays on for about 10 minutes after switch light off. Seems like an a
I have no access to the loft, I was wondering maybe the timer can be adjusted by switching it on/off in some kind of fashion?
No remote adjustment, fan has to be accessed.

It is an studio room/annexe I live in currently and the loft hatch is the smallest I have ever seen, looks like 300x600. I am sure a thin, strong person can fit through but that's not me :) Fan bothers me for its noise. But there is a fuse box and I have now marked the switched fuse, a quick off/on and it stops.

It is an studio room/annexe I live in currently and the loft hatch is the smallest I have ever seen, looks like 300x600. I am sure a thin, strong person can fit through but that's not me :) Fan bothers me for its noise. But there is a fuse box and I have now marked the switched fuse, a quick off/on and it stops.

It is there for a very good reason, to suck out the moist air from the shower. If you simply switch it off, it will cause lots of mould in that space and the owner would be entitled to charge you for the repairs..

Ha ha I know it is for mould, thank you for the warning, and the delay(s) are to ensure all the steams are out. And yes there is some specs of mould around the edges of the shower tray, I think it is mould. We occasionally clean it with Flash bleach spray I think.

But I am the owner, door is usually ajar/open and aerated, and my mental health is much more important :)

Get a skinny electrician in to fit isolation switch. Don't keep using fuse switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back