Loft Re-insulation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all hope some one can help me out bearing in mind I have searched like mad for answer and have not found one.
Around the end of last year (Aug 08 ), I insulated my loft between the rafters, using 80% recycled loft insulation from the big orange diy warehouse. All I did, was to wedge it between the rafters thinking that this would be sufficient. It turns out that I did not leave a gap between the insulation and the tar membrane and little condensation has now found a home :(
I have removed all of the insulation from the rafters, let them "dry and air" and now have to do It again.
What I need help with is, would it be ok to staple some sort of breathable membrane directly to the rafters, run some 2x3 batons horizontal to the rafters and then put the insulation back in?
Would the insulation be ok touching the membrane?
Any links or names of suitable membrane would really help :confused:

Thanks in advance...

Foz

Sponsored Links
Anyone??
I'd like to start and maybe finish this job at the weekend, so any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks.. Foz

why don't you just insulate the floor of the loft/ceiling of rooms below?

Sponsored Links
Hi John and thanks for the reply.
The floor of the loft is/has been done by the previous owner so doesn't need doing. The reason I need to do the roof is that a few of the items that will be stored up there, could be prone to the cold and damp air. Old photos, the wife's books, a few electrical things. Just by removing the insulation from the rafters, you can tell there is a major difference, so I need to get moving and get things sorted if you get my drift.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back