Log Burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, looking for advise on log burner. I understand the regs and risk of self installation however if I still wish to proceed can I do the following.
I already have 6inch lined flue. I have purchased log burner and looking to line up with the flue however I need to vent the room. I have volid in the chimney and was looking to run 6inch air pipe from roof down to the base of chimney ( the chimney has two places to store logs each side of burner)so I thought I could vent from there. The other option is just to put a vent in the outside wall away from the log burner. What would you suggest?

Sponsored Links
its probably best to check the regs on line somewhere, but I gather that its only burners producing over 5kw that require an external vent......however, I personally would be much happier if a spill test was carried out on the flue by a reputable person.
Any vent is best at low level, I'd say, and venting from the top sounds unlikely as the hot air in that vicinity would cause any draught to rise - but lets hear what the experts say.
John :)

I looked into installing a log burner myself. Decided against it & so so glad I did. Turned out the chimney went down to 3 inches & it's on quite a large stack. They had to take a substantial large area of brickwork out. My moral of the story be careful as you can't always see what's up the chimney to cause problems. Building regs should be on your council website. Just google it. You'll still need building control to sign it off if you ever sell the house. I was quoted £260 from the inspectors. All in all the price came to nearly what the professionals quoted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back