Losing the plot with lintels! :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I'm currently applying for a warrant for knocking a doorway through from my integral garage into my home.

The wall makeup is: 140mm wide block work, 25mm air gap (with battens), 60mm insulation, 50mm metal studs, 12.5mm plasterboard.

The opening is 833mm wide so I'm planning on either a 1100mm or 1200mm long lintel.

However i'm struggling to find any builders merchants near me who stock lintels that are 140mm wide! (I live in Highlands of Scotland)

Is it feasible to put 2 70mm wide lintels in back to back to give me my 140mm width??

Any advice would be most appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
I don't really know how building controls work in Scotland, so did you have to have any calculation done for the lintel. But saying that your lintel should sit so it is bearing at least 150mm over each side, so belt and braces says 1200mm, Two 70mm should do or have you tried looking for a steel one.

I don't really know how building controls work in Scotland, so did you have to have any calculation done for the lintel. But saying that your lintel should sit so it is bearing at least 150mm over each side, so belt and braces says 1200mm, Two 70mm should do or have you tried looking for a steel one.

Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to do any calculations. :(

Current regs are asking for 150mm bearing each end, but if the opening is less than 1200mm they will allow 100mm bearing at each end.

Had a look at some steel lintels (Catnic, IG) but nothing for blockwork 140 wide! The nearest thing they have is box sections 140mm wide, but they are perforated so don't give the required fire protection for doorways between a garage and house!

If I put 2 lintels back to back do I have to clip them together??

1 of the local builders merchants said that they have a 145 x145 x 1200mm lintel in stock... that would be overkill, but don't know if it's acceptable to have that extra 5mm over the block width!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back