Loss of Flush Power in Toilet

The toilet up until 4 weeks ago had a very fierce strong flush. Then, it would not flush properly taking 2 or 3 attempts and that was just a pee and piece of tissue I now believe that where its not being flushed/pulled properly its backing up. I do not believe for one minute that a blockage in the sewer pipe which is what the Engineer has suggested, is the issue. It started with an issue operating the Toilet, and is not linked / anything to do with a sewer?????

If you're so sure, why are you asking here?

I'd check to see if your roof is leaking anywhere too, as this is also often caused by having a new boiler and central heating system fitted... Oh, and does your groceries bill seem higher recently as well?

Sponsored Links
Won't be related to the installation . Out of curiosity does the toilet flush on the first pump of the handle ..THANKS!.. very common that the diaphragm on the syphon can split . Detach and then get stuck in the spreader at the back of the pan

The property, bought in July 20, is in the middle of being totally refurbished thank you!!!!! And the Toilet Brush has dark grey bristles FYI.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Won't be related to the installation . Out of curiosity does the toilet flush on the first pump of the handle .... very common that the diaphragm on the syphon can split . Detach and then get stuck in the spreader at the back of the pan
Yes it does. Thank you, the Bathroom is the next job so maybe it looks like getting it done sooner than anticipated!

If you're so sure, why are you asking here?
If your kitchen sink was blocked you wouldn't go outside first and have the drain up would you? No you would check the ubend and internal pipes first! Start with the most logical??????
I'd check to see if your roof is leaking anywhere too, as this is also often caused by having a new boiler and central heating system fitted... Oh, and does your groceries bill seem higher recently as well?

Since having my Heating and Hot Water system renewed/changed my Toilet is taking 2 flushes to clear. The old system was a Hot Water Boiler with Cylinder Tank. Now I have a Combi ? Can this problem be rectified or improved?

OK. Let me rethink my response...

Going from a gravity to a combi (usually) involves removing the cwsc from the loft.
Your wc is therefore now likely to be mains fed, as will all your outlets.

This (usually) means that any wc fill valves have to have flow restrictors fitted to stop water hammer and prevent them from stealing flow from other outlets as they will fill very quickly.

This would not cause problems with flushing AS LONG AS your wc cistern is filling to its full level, before a flush!

Check that first! If it is taking ages to fill, and is therefore not FULL when flushed, check that debris (from the drain down and conversion) has not blocked the inlet diaphragm on the fill valve.

You should also change the restrictor to the mains pressure type... Which likely means a new fill valve (unless) you're lucky enough to have the spare still attached to the float arm.

If your cistern is FULL when you flush, then the problem is totally unrelated.

Just an update, been to DIY store bought Toilet Plunger and it took literally two pushes to clear​

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back