Loud noises make my window double glazing reverberate / resonate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got 3 windows on my house that are exactly the same.

The one on my bedroom seems to reverberate whenever a loud noise is made outside (car doors slamming the main one, which is really annoying when you are trying to sleep). It almost sounds like a drum being tapped inside my bedroom, a 'bong' noise, so it transfers all the noise inside and is really loud.

I think its because the window pane is quite large (110cm by 110cm, the pane, not the whole window and frame) so it has flex to it and reverberates.

The windows are double glazed uPVC, seals are good, and glazing not blown.

I went outside and looked at them recently and gave them all a tap, and the problem window vibrates more when you tap it. Making the bong noise way more than the others. Even though they are all the exact same size and make.

Any ideas what I can do? Its getting to the point I'm thinking of gluing some ali box section painted white as if its part of the frame, across the glass to stop it from flexing / reverberating.

I guess I could replace the glazing, but I'm worried its the size of the pane being quite large that is allowing it to flex and reverberate. So if I buy a new one, I'll have the same problem and have wasted £££'s.
Also I'm not sure how to measure the existing glazing thickness without removing it.
I want acoustic glass, any recommendations?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back