Low flow rate to property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for some advice here relating to possible issue with the mains water supply pipe to my property.

The flow rate to my property has always been a bit weedy (10-11 l/m) but I never really worried about it.

I recently decided to look into to it and had Affinity water out to check the pressure/flow to the property.

When they disconnected the meter and tested from there the water flow was perfect.

The pavement and water meter have dropped about 3cm at sometime before I bought the property(been here 10 years).

So my questions are

1) Is it likely that the drop in the water meter has bent the 1/2" cast Iron supply pipe restricting flow?

2) If anyone has had a similar issues what are my chances of getting Affinity to pay to fix it?

DSC_0170.JPG

I don't really want to waste my and Affinity's time chasing an issue that is not the cause of the problem and I am leaning towards just replacing the supply pipe anyway but I would prefer to have the sinking water meter sorted before replacing the pipe and if I can get Affinity to put their hand in there pocket that would be a bonus :)

Thx in advance.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be the cause - more likely the iron pipework is 'furred' and restricting the flow.
Your supplier has checked that they are delivering sufficient flow & pressure to your service pipe and that's the end of their responsibilities.

Chances of getting them to pay for it - slim to none!

Unlikely to be the cause - more likely the iron pipework is 'furred' and restricting the flow.
Your supplier has checked that they are delivering sufficient flow & pressure to your service pipe and that's the end of their responsibilities.

Chances of getting them to pay for it - slim to none!

Well I guess all I can do is go for replacing the pipe and see what they find when they expose the old pipe.
Thx for the feedback.

As above, almost certainly a furred pipe. Once worked on a property that had 4 bar static pressure, but only 4 litres per minute out of the main. New main went in and it was gushing like a ****** ******** ***** *** *******

Sponsored Links
Hi,

When they disconnected the meter and tested from there the water flow was perfect.

Thx in advance.

I would never accept a non scientific statement like that.

Would always want to know the exact pressure and flows!

Tony

Yeah, I'd also be asking them what the results were and comparing with what you are getting at the tap just to confirm your supply pipe is at fault.
You said your flow was always bad and hasn't got steadily worse? Some suppliers only deliver their legal minimum to some houses btw, which can be as low as 9L/min@1bar, which is Ofwat's reporting level .
Funny that...just checked and Affinity's target min is 9L/Min @ 1bar - https://www.affinitywater.co.uk/low-pressure-thank-you.aspx

But its not a dynamic flow rate of 9 li/min with a remaining pressure of 1 bar.

Its a static pressure of 1.0 bar and an open pipe flow rate of 9 li/min.

So when put through a shower head the flow is only about 5 li/min.

Although a booster pump could be used to improve the pressure to the shower head.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back