Low voltage best practices.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought 6 low voltage spots for ceiling. All supplied with sep transformers. Is this good practice or should i go back and exchange for one single multi outlet.

If im using sep transformers:

What's a decent junction box to use i see MK do a 30amp 3 term junc box which is 3termsx 4wire @6mm. Could do with 7 wire terminals. Or else i need a junc box to feed 2 junc boxes :(

With the correct cable i was thinking of mounting them all on a piece of board 2metres from lighting area in loft, feeding lights from there, as i may well be boarding over my loft and this area will be a pain to dig up in the future, or do i leave them near lights, and pull them through hole to service transformers.

Also what's this about heat covers for lv lights when placed under boarding etc?

Sponsored Links
First question: What wattage are those lights and transformers? There's nothing wrong with having a separate transformer for each light. There is also nothing wrong with putting multiple lights on a transformer as long as its power rating is adequate.

For 20 watt lights I would be inclined to put three each on two transformers. That way if one transformer goes down you only lose half your lights. Incidentally the things normally sold as transformers are nothing of the sort. They're switch mode power supplies which can fail. Some of them are not dimmable either so be sure to get the right ones if you think you might want to do this.

That 30 amp junction box takes 4 lots of 6mm wire so it will easily hold 7 lots of 1mm wire as used on lighting circuits. You might have the opposite problem where the terminals are so big that the screws barely grip the small wires. Check out four terminal 20 amp boxes. This is the usual size for lighting and that fourth terminal gives you somewhere to connect the switch. How were you planning to do this?

A lot will depend on the quality of the Transformer. Knowing the kits that are sold these days you have six cheap and cheerful electronic switch mode type power supplies (it bugs me that they are called Transformers as they are not really this at all)

If you want all the lights on one Tx, then I would suggest you buy a Toroidal type. Yes these are large, and yes they are ugly, but then they last for years and years. If you get one rated properly, then you can always up the lamp wattage at some point in time.

That 30 amp junction box takes 4 lots of 6mm wire so it will easily hold 7 lots of 1mm wire as used on lighting circuits. You might have the opposite problem where the terminals are so big that the screws barely grip the small wires. Check out four terminal 20 amp boxes. This is the usual size for lighting and that fourth terminal gives you somewhere to connect the switch. How were you planning to do this?

however keep the low voltage wiring in seperate Junction boxes to the Mains wiring!

Sponsored Links
If you want all the lights on one Tx, then I would suggest you buy a Toroidal type. Yes these are large, and yes they are ugly, but then they last for years and years.

That's more like it. A real transformer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back