Low voltage lighting - multiple transformer question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've bought some bog standard low voltage recessed downlighters from B&Q. Each pack contains one transformer that feeds a max of 5 downlighters. I need 10 downlighters and so bought 2 packs, however I don't want them on 2 seperate switches - ie. I want all 10 running off of one switch. Here's what I've done - The lighting circuit is a loop in type, so three cables - power in, power out and light switch. I've fed these into a junction box and then connected the neutral and switched live of each transformer to the corresponding wires in each junction box - ie. each transformer is still only feeding a max of 5 lights. Everything works fine, apart from the fact that when I switch the lights on the first set come on 2 or 3 seconds before the second set. Not a major problem but wondered if 1) The above approach was safe or whether I should be putting them on two seperate switches. 2) If there's anyway to get the lights from both transformers to come on at the same time.

Any ideas greatfully received.

Cheers

Daz

Sponsored Links
I beleive the problem is known as cheap s***e b+q transformers

Sponsored Links
I've known many tx's to do this: good and bad brands. Still to work out why....

I think they are soft start transformers, supposed to extend lamp life.One of your tansformers is probaly slugged more than the other. Should be ok if you have a 10A plate switch.

I have probably an identical set of downlighters that I got from B+Q a few weeks ago. Mine take a few secns to come on and the time varies each time, sometimes less than a second, sometimes 5 seconds. I posted on here and people said they may be soft start ones, but if one of your sets come on immediately and one takes a few seconds then maybe we have faulty transformers?

B+Q are quite good in that if you go to them and say I've instaled this stuff and this one component is faulty they'll just swap the faulty component for you rather than make you take the lights down and swap everything.

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like first step is to go back to B&Q and replace transformer. Cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back