*low voltage recessed lights*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I am new to DIY - and looking to install some low voltage recessed lights in the ground floor lounge ceiling of our two storey cottage.

Any tips would be appreciated, including how to drill the holes in joists (x4) for the cabling without removing the plaster board ceiling, or opening the floor above...

Thanks for your time,

David.
:idea:

Sponsored Links
David...The holes need to go through the middle of the joist so without access, normally form above its not possible to drill them.

You can try running between the joist to a location where you can lift the floor above but this may make the cable runs longer.

There is a lot to consider.

How do you want them to be switched - with main light or separately?

Is the existing circuit in sound condition? Fully loaded? Earthed?

And are you sure the ceiling is plasterboard? The word 'cottage' suggests it is an older property and you might find thatthe ceilingis actually lath and plaster. Either way, your better off working from above (lifting the floorboards) because you have to get at the existing light circuit. You'd have to remove a significant amount of the ceiling to be able to get circuti and switch cables where you want them.

Thanks for the advice - looks like the floor above is the way to go.

There are three wall lights at the moment that are really ugly, so I was going to use a set of wires from each of the three wall lights (all switch on and off independently at wall switch near the door) to wire in each set of the recessed ceiling lights, and put them on dimmers.

To do this with low voltage lights, would I need three seperate transformers?

Thanks for you time!

Regards,
David.
:idea:

Sponsored Links
That poses more questions:

How many lights in each set?

And when you say 'set' do you mean preassembled sets, whith leads that plug together? If not then this is a notifiable job under the Building Regulations, Part P. (do a search for lots of information on part P)

Ideally you would have a transformer for each light, but if you are dimming ELV lights you need to consider the rating of the dimmer switch needed for each set - it needs to be approximately double the power rating of the lights it is dimming. (And of course, you'll need to make sure you've got dimmable transformers)

Electrics aside (just had to make sure the dimmer switch I bought was acceptable for low voltage dimmers) I have recently carried out this type of lighting in two downstairs rooms.
Unfortunately one room was below the bathroom, not long floor tiled, so accessing from above was pretty much out of the question. The other room was below an exposed varnished floorboarded (is that a word!?!?) room, but to pull these up would damage the floor (I tried a bit under the bed).
In the end I used a beam tester (takes a few attempts to find the joists with these I find) and marked out the holes (5x 20w). I then cut out sections under the joists to feed the cables, finishing them with plaster and skim and paint.
The ceilings were not in a great state anyhow and I'm shortly to plasterboard and finish skim them.
Perhaps not the best method but my only viable option.

Yeah - was toying with the remote control dimmers...just how lazy are we getting though eh! :D

Thanks for the replys all.

Northbeach - did you cut a groove into the joists, or just bury the cable in the plasterboard? Also - where did you get the downlights, and was it a kit?

Thanks again!
David.
:p

^^ Buried the cables in the plaster board - they are quite thin cables afterall (unlike your mains circuit cables) - plenty of room to fit them if you cut the plaster up to the joists (beam testers are not that expensive).
Plaster over, skim then paint (or do a full skim depending on your circumstances).
But as ConduitKen mentioned, your circumstances may be different due to your cottage abode.
Probably could've shopped around but in the end I nipped down to B & Q for them - low volatge on a transformer (dimmable kit - will state this on the packaging) with the appropriate dimmer switch (for low v lights).
Some may say these lights are a fad but I installed single spots about 5 years ago and continue to do so - I may have OCD but the crisp lighting (dimmed) shone on area's you actually need them (as opposed to an all encompassing shaded bulb) are great for me.
I'm merely a layman when it comes to this business so check with the other guys on here if you have concerns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back