LPD - can an LPD extension ever face a highway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone offer any advice on LPD laws?

We would like to have a single story ground floor extension. However because the house is a large house converted into 2 smaller houses, all of our portion of the house faces the road, although the part where we want to extend is sited 20 metres from the road and can’t be viewed from the road at all.

Our neighbours, who oppose us extending at all, are great friends with the local councillor (who represented our neighbours objection against us at a parish council meeting!) and we fear that LPD would be the only avenue to extend the property. We’ve already been through the process of planning consent where the architect drew up the plans, and indeed altered the plans, with planning department input (there were several meetings – some were denied by the planning dept despite the meetings being documented by the architect). The site visit officer said she was recommending approval however our application was denied.

The question then is: can a LPD extension ever face a highway?

Any advice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
what reason have they given??

a terrace near me the rear extension wall forms the boundary with the pavement

Go to appeal. Inspectors are not influenced by local councillors.

Sponsored Links
I attended a PC meeting recently and was shocked at the way the councillors considered some planning permission requests. They glanced at the plans then voiced their prejudices, prompted along the way by one councillor who fancies himself as a big cheese locally and no doubt has plenty of connections, then they rejected the lot out of hand. At one point I even intervened to explain how they were misinterpreting the plans but to no avail. Muppets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back