Lukewarm radiators

Make and model name of the vertical rads would be helpful.

I'll see what I can find tonight, historical knowledge is limited but I'll have a look through the paperwork that was left when we moved in and see if I can find anything.

Failing that I'll see if I can find anything on the rads themselves.

Sponsored Links
Another night, another couple of hours fiddling with our CH system!

Looked through all documentation we were left by the previous owner but nothing on the rads, only the boiler unfortunately.

Warmed it up from cold again tonight and think I've got a bit further, well with one rad anyway.

Vertical 2 rad upon closer inspection has a sticker at the back on the bottom that says "TOP", hats off to the original plumber on that one. When it warms up heat starts in the top right hand corner and works it's way down and left towards the Lockshield. Looks like flipping that one 180 degrees may fix it?

Still playing games with vertical 3, that one struggles to heat at all unless I switch the rest off and divert all the flow. One of the middle columns heats up pretty quick and a bit of heat is transferred to the top of the other columns but takes a good 30 mins to get a decent amount of heat in it. While I'm at it I might as well flip that one as well unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Vertical 2 rad upon closer inspection has a sticker at the back on the bottom that says "TOP", hats off to the original plumber on that one. When it warms up heat starts in the top right hand corner and works it's way down and left towards the Lockshield. Looks like flipping that one 180 degrees may fix it?
Following the manufacturer's instructions is always a good idea, so flip it. Let's hope the mounting brackets will still be in the same position.

Still playing games with vertical 3, that one struggles to heat at all unless I switch the rest off and divert all the flow. One of the middle columns heats up pretty quick and a bit of heat is transferred to the top of the other columns but takes a good 30 mins to get a decent amount of heat in it. While I'm at it I might as well flip that one as well unless anyone has any other suggestions.
The symptoms are very similar to rad 2, so flipping this one is a possibility.

Presumably the "TOP" label has been removed. However there may be other clues as to which way up the rad should be, e.g. bracket positions etc. Compare it to No 2.

PS No need to research make etc. You have found what I was looking for - the "TOP" label. Might be worth looking for anything showing the flow direction, e.g.arrows or "Flow" and "Return" labels as well, when the rad is the right way up!

Thanks Halisham, I'll flip them both and while I'm doing so see if there is anything obvious on either of them to identify the correct flow and return. They're slightly different designs but hopefully they have the same issue.

It'll be a week or so until I can get round to it but will report back on progress.

Thanks for your help all.

Sponsored Links
Right, so spent most of sat morning draining and flipping the two problem vertical rads.

To say they were heavy would be an understatement, had to use the car jack to jack them back up onto the supports!

Good news, problem resolved, both rads now heat up in no time at all.

Thanks to everyone for their help, got there in the end!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back