LV transformer selection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise please, I am putting 12v LV halogen fittings and the lamps will be 50w. The transformers come in 0 to 50W rating and 0-70w rating that are of any interest in this case, so the question is which would you pick to go with a 50watt lamp?

My mate who is also a spark is saying the 0-70w ones but I was always told to try and load the transformer to max or nearly max.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I was always told to try and load the transformer to max or nearly max.

I can only think of one reason why anybody would say that. With a 'real' transformer you get voltage drop in the windings when you draw current from it. If it's a good one it will be designed to give the rated voltage at full current and so you will get a higher voltage if you draw less current. As an example, I recently measured the open circuit voltage of a 24V transformer and got 28V. This is normal.

In your case you will be loading a 70 watt transformer with 50 watts so the overvoltage will be much less. Furthermore, I suspect that you are not looking at 'real' transformers at all. Most of the things sold as transformers are actually switch mode power supplies and their output voltages are regulated. I would definitely go for the bigger one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back