MacBook reformat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody tell me how to reformat a MacBook (early 2015) and install a fresh copy of Mac OS on it? We've had it from new and it still does everything we need from it, but it's started to slow down. I replaced the screen on it only three years ago so would rather it keep going for as long as possible. While I know the slow down will partly be down to subsequent application and OS updates, plus aging components, I think a fresh, clean install will help give the laptop a second lease at life.

It seemed much more straightforward when I used to use the old PowerMac 7200s, and later the iMac G3s and the aluminium iMacs, but with no on-board physical media I don't know where to start. Everything has been backed up onto an external HDD so I'm ready to go.

Sponsored Links
For a laugh I thought I'd check the system preferences panel, and I can see an 'erase all content and settings' feature.

I wanted to completely reformat the drive and wonder if they erase function would just erase personal data rather than the actual system files.

Think Apple support will be your best starting point. Fresh copy of current os is easy enough, trying to go back to a previous version might be harder work.

Sponsored Links
Think Apple support will be your best starting point. Fresh copy of current os is easy enough, trying to go back to a previous version might be harder work.

They may be willing to offer help, but it is an 8 year old machine. I would expect that they would want payment.

The official Apple support forum would be my go to.

Sorry, yes i meant look at their website. I've only upgraded os on a Mac and can't actually remember how i did it, critically whether the MacOS utilities prog (which comes up when building virtual machines cough cough) is part of the .dmg image or not. (The VM builds use .iso images)

Thanks for all the pointers all.

Think I'll need to boot up into a mode where I can erase the drive (think it might be via Utilities), as per @richw 's suggestion.

The latest OS supported by this Mac is Monterey (Ventura is supported on 2017 models and above). It runs well enough so I'll stick with that. As it came with no physical copy of the OS, I'll source one and see if it can be stored on a drive that I can mount from utilities. Long time since I've done this!

Restart your Mac. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down, press and hold the power button until “Loading startup options” appears, select Options, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions. In the Recovery app window, select Reinstall for your macOS release, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.

Very simple process .
If you are still struggling the other options are here.
appletoolbox.com

How to install macOS or OS X on a new hard drive for your Mac

You may need to install a fresh version of macOS or OS X if you get a new hard drive in your Mac. We've explained exactly how to do it!
appletoolbox.com
appletoolbox.com

Thanks a lot of that @foxhole, sounds like it will do exactly what I need.

I figured I'd need a copy of the OS (as a .dmg) to mount onto a drive and install from, but this option seems to install a fresh copy, presumably from online? As long as everything is formatted and installed fresh I'm happy.

Sponsored Links
Back