Macdee Metro 3-part oval syphon -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet cistern has in it a Macdee Metro 3-part syphon, 8.5" tall 'bell housing'.

it's very similar in appearance to this one:

but not quite .......... bear with me. Note that mine is about 20 years old.

For a start, mine doesn't have the vertical blue piece on the side which I believe allows the water flush volume to be adjusted.

Also, there's a Syphon measuring guide here:

(click on the small image below the image of the grey siphon, then click on it again to enlarge)

Going by those measurements, the 'bell housing' of my syphon is 8.5 inches tall. However, mine doesn't read the base of the cistern, never has done.

Should it? Looking at photos of an assembled unit many do but, as mentioned, mine never has.

So should I replace the bell housing with another Macdee unit (as pictured) that's 8.5" tall, or go for a 9 inch so it'll reach the bottom of the cistern?

I only want to replace the bell housing and, due to that design, it's easy to replace only that without removing the main vertical tube.

Also, and just out of interest, about a grey syphon bell housing like this:

will it fit onto the white plastic vertical tube as pictured at the start of this message? It's just that I can't currently find a bell housing in the white an blue. Not sure why there is a grey one and a white one, are they incompatible in terms of fitting together?

Edit: from doing some more research new Macdee Metro syphons are of a screw thread type to connect the bell housing to the main vertical pipe, however mine is a 'twist lock' type (the blue ring that is turned).

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back