Magnaclean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had BG in as my system (17 year old), is starting to make a bit of noise. House isnt as warm as it was last year and one of the valves on my smaller radiators is corroding away.

The have advised I get a Magnaclean fitted at £330. Not at all good with this kind of stuff and not had a good exp of plumbers fixing things for me.

Is this a realistic answer & price ? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
For £330.00 I'll travel up to Edinburgh,do the work and spend the rest of the day visiting friends.

:eek: the part costs about £100 in your friendly local plumbers merchant

It is IMO very worthwhile in an older system where the water is black or there is black sediment.

If you can do basic plumbing you can fit it (allowing for draining down, refilling and bleeding) in an afternoon. It did one on my old mum's house during the summer.

I am not a plumber.

It is useful for collecting black sediment and will probably prevent a blockage occuring later if this sediment builds up.

The drain down will remove muck which (unlike the black sediment) is not trapped by the magnet.

For best results you can give the system a chemical clean as well (this is very easy if you have a vented system with a small tank in the loft and you know where the drain-cock is).

When refilling, you must use a corrosion inhibitor t prevent further corrosion.

p.s. ask round friends and neighbours to see if thy know a good local plumber. he is most unikely to be as expensive as BG. Be aware that if you want him to also do the drain, flush, clean, refill, replace worn valves, this will add extra time and so cost. If you are having it drained, then it's best to have all the other bits and pieces done at the same time.

I found it took me an afternoon to drain, fit it, fit a new draincock and add cleaning chemical,; then another afternoon a couple of weeks later to drain out and replace a few valves and bleed screws which i'd found needed replacing on my first visit, refill using inhibitor, and bleed again. No doubt a professional would have been quicker.

It would have been even quicker to miss out some of the extra jobs.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend proper flushing/cleaning first, then fit the magna clean.

They are not really supposed to replace a chemical flush, but to maintain the system afterwards and catch the debris the flush didn't remove, probably the remaingin 10-15% of crud.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back