mains circuit and rcd tripping

Softus said:
If a dangerous cable fault existed, and still exists, and wasn't detected, and wasn't addressed, then the danger still exists.

Personally, as a potential punter, I wouldn't be satisfied without an explanation of the MCB tripping, which is precisely one of the two things that was paid for, and the single thing that is still missing.

Hmmn.....but if it was a dodgy cable and it was the cause of the tripping, then it would still be tripping would it not?
Perhaps there was a loose connection in the CU, which has been rectified by the changes made in there.
Maybe the RCD was faulty as the electrician said.

Sponsored Links
pbar said:
Hmmn.....but if it was a dodgy cable and it was the cause of the tripping, then it would still be tripping would it not?
I don't know. What is your definition of 'dodgy'? :confused:

Perhaps there was a loose connection in the CU, which has been rectified by the changes made in there.
I see. Please describe the type of loose CU connection that would cause an MCB to trip.

Maybe? Are you uncertain about something? Do you think it's possible that the RCD wasn't faulty? Wouldn't this mean that he hadn't cured the problem, unless entirely accidentally, without finding the fault by testing and therefore without being to show that he had fixed it? Or are you suggesting that he was lying?

Or are you just a pratt?

Softus said:
pbar said:
I don't know. What is your definition of 'dodgy'? :confused:

I see. Please describe the type of loose CU connection that would cause an MCB to trip.

Maybe? Are you uncertain about something? Do you think it's possible that the RCD wasn't faulty? Wouldn't this mean that he hadn't cured the problem, unless entirely accidentally, without finding the fault by testing and therefore without being to show that he had fixed it? Or are you suggesting that he was lying?

Or are you just a pratt?

A dodgy cable - one that isn't right or normal, i.e. trapped, burnt, cut/nailed into, etc.

Loose connection - in the MCB, not screwed tightly, therefore wire barely connecting. I've had this is a socket which sometimes caused a trip, sometimes didn't. Til I fixed it.

RCD faulty? - The electrician thinks it is. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, who am I to know, I have no reason to doubt his word. He changed it for a new one and the problem is fixed.

Am i a pratt - no.

pbar said:
A dodgy cable - one that isn't right or normal, i.e. trapped, burnt, cut/nailed into, etc.
Ah yes. Those trapped cables give no end of trouble. Did the electrician in attendance free them all?

And given that the fault was intermittent, how have you determined that it's no longer trapped (sic.), burnt, cut, nailed into...?

Loose connection - in the MCB, not screwed tightly, therefore wire barely connecting. I've had this is a socket which sometimes caused a trip, sometimes didn't. Til I fixed it.
If the electrician fixed this, then either he hasn't told the OP about it, or the OP hasn't told us. Do you think this was the cause? If so, who do you think is not telling the whole truth?

RCD faulty? - The electrician thinks it is. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, who am I to know, I have no reason to doubt his word.
I see. Now you're suddenly sifting into 'open minded' mode. :rolleyes:

He changed it for a new one and the problem is fixed.
He changed it for a new one, and the original problem hasn't yet recurred. Moreover, the person whose word you trust has given, AFAIK, no explanation for the MCB tripping.

Am i a pratt - no.
You just impersonate pratts in your spare time? :D

Sponsored Links
I was expecting a cable fault. The electrician will have been able to test for that by testing insulation resistance and continuity of the rings, and conductor resistance. All this can be done from the CU, and this is the correct place to start. If any conductors or insuation had burned away, or there was a nail through a cable, he would (should) have easily been able to spot it from these tests.

It would be interesting to look under the CU cover for signs of overheating, or damaged or repaired cables, in case that is where the fault arose. I couldn't see any smoke stains in the pictures round the outside.

As I wasn't there, and didn't perform or observe any tests or inspection, I don't see myself as being able to comment on how good a job was done. Testing RCD at a socket is not the best way to do it, but it is a very common shortcut. I do my own like that periodically (remember I have several RCBOs so this is quick) and if the time and current results are as expected, I don't feel the need to look further when there is no sign of a problem.

In the absence of further information, it seems fruitless to speculate on whether the electrician succesfully found and fixed the cause of the problem.

My point was precisely that - there's an absence of information.

If I paid an electrician to fix a fault, I would want to know why he thought the fault occurred, and what he did to fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back