Major Beginner Having Problems. Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, hello to everyone.

I've read through the How To guide on Decorating and found it very informative.

Now as a super beginner, I've never done any kind of decorating so please bare with me if I say something stupid.

I got an Earlex Wallpaper Stripper that worked wonders. Took of the Vinyl layer, then the wallpaper itself. No dramas.

I assumed that I could simply roll the paint straight on but I'm having second thoughts.

Underneath the wallpaper that I stripped, there is alot of orange and also hairline (some, more noticeable) cracks.

I wanted to use a Matt Magnolia colour to paint over one wall.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about undercoat or basecoat. I don't know what I have to use or what I do next.

My source for paint at the moment is B&Q as that's the only place I know that sells alot of paint but I don't know anyone that can get me trade prices.
My budget was about £10-£15 per tin. I already have a roller and some average paint brushes for the edges. I don't know what brand to get for neither but I'm sure I need Emulsion and it should be a water based matt magnolia (or white but not brilliant white. Not cream neither).

I'm going to upload some images so I hope that helps.

Sorry for the long story. I need to finish this off by Monday and I'm worried now.

Many thanks in advance for any input.

100_2169.jpg

100_2176.jpg

100_2174.jpg

100_2172.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hello and welcome - I hope you get the advice you need (if not too late!).

To start with I would ask; what kind of finish are your after? If looking for a finish with very few imperfections you may need to consider putting lining paper on the walls as they look quite patchy in terms of types of material (plaster, different types of filler) and smoothness. If you're not in a position to put lining paper up a lot of filling may be required going by the pics and you're almost in re-plastering territory.

If lining paper is not an option then you should be ok to paint with matt emulsion once the walls have been washed to remove any paste residue from the previous paper. If B&Q is your only option then you might be best going with one of the well-known brands such as Dulux. I would give it one coat before filling to help show up what needs to be filled. You may want to lighten the paint with water for the first coat (I'm not familiar enough with B&Q paint) so that it gets absorbed by the plaster.

After the first coat I would fill as necessary then sand when dry, brush off filler dust and touch-up all filled areas by brush (touch up with 'light' emulsion for absorbency) then apply a second coat of 'normal' emulsion (with no water added) once the touched-up filler is dry. A third coat may be required but not sure that things will dry quick enough for Monday.

Many many thanks for your detailed reply.

Unfortunately, it is abit too late!

I went to B&Q this morning and swapped the B&Q Colours paint for Crowns 10lt Matt Magnolia (only £12.71p! Bargain).

I also picked up Polycell Basecoat Complete 5in1. Really expensive stuff!

I then started putting the basecoat onto wall with the roller. I think I made a mistake though.
That orange stuff left on the wall that I assumed was dried old paint started to come off just a little as I was rolling on the basecoat.

I'm thinking that I should of scraped it off. Now that It's dried, I can see where I need to use filler to cover bumps and dips.

Question is, is it still ok to continue? Would it be ok to put on 2-3 coats of paint straight on top tomorrow?

Hi again,

I've not used the pollycell basecoat. You could just try scraping where it looks unsound - if it still does - maybe at those places where old paint was coming off when rolling. If the basecoat has sealed it well enough you'll be able to go ahead with the first coat of emulsion but there would need to be really good drying to get a second coat in the same day (let alone a third). You might find that it's touch-dry but starts to soften once you start rolling the next coat but it sounds like you don't have much choice if needing to finish by Monday.

Sponsored Links
Like you said, it was only in small spots on the wall, nothing drastic. I touched it up with a paint brush straight after.

I think your also right about the coating. I doubt I'll have time for 3 coats. Shame. But I'll settle with with 2 and see how it goes.

Now touch dry, I'm assuming It's self explanatory... If It's dry when you touch It, It's ready to be painted on again?
I thought that even If It felt dry, you still must wait for the paint to soak in(?)

A paint can feel dry to the touch but soften up if coated too soon causing a number of problems - moreso with oil-based finishes. Best to follow the manufacturer's instructions on the tub as a guide depending on how good drying conditions are in the room (with better drying you should be ready to coat sooner).

I would expect a base coat product to give a good foundation in which case you might be happy with just two coats of emulsion anyway.

Hope it turns out well.

See this is just spooky, my lounge is in exactly the same state only the paint underneath is a lively green. :cry: You're not next door, are you?

I've stripped the paper off and am now trying to figure out how to best prep the walls for paint i.e. clean off all the paper glue and then prime?
I really don't want to use lining paper.

P.S. Apologies for hijacking the thread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back