make your own liquid soap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it sounds a strange topic but i wonder how many of us buy liquid soap for use in the toilets and bathrooms
Well i have just refurbished my bathroom and decided to fit a soap dispenser instead of using a bar of soap we bought the same make in liquid as in the bars i used it for 3 days and have found out that my face must be allergic to it and became as sore as hell
I phoned the manufactures they said it must be the fragrance
looked on the net for fragrance free soap yes £6 a fill
then i began thinking my father was a hairdresser years ago !! and i remember him saving all the old bits of soap and added water, the next day it was turned to a liquid he used it on mens hair instead of brillcream.
So 1 bar of my normal soap which i have been using for years a cheese grater, and 2 pints of hot water, old saucpan on the gas for 10 mins stirring as it heats up, then let it cool down, within 1 hour i had a thick mixture
i then used a hand liquidizer and a little water and wisked it up into a nice creamy mixture
put it into an old liquid soap dispenser and "bingo" i have made my own soap 1 bar has made just over 2 pints thats about equal to 10 bottles of soap in the dispensers so 45p made around £11 worth of imperial Leather
Its now stored in an empty milk container ready to fill the dispensers as req

mick

Sponsored Links
untill it sets :LOL:

there is a thing you can get (Ok, i admit it, i brought one) called a soap miser.

its a small tube, about an inch deep and about 2 1/2 inches across, it has a convex lid for each end, you get the old bits of soap that are too small to use, but them in hot the soap miser and put it into boiling water for about 10 mins. let it cool and hey presto you get a smelly saucepan and a new bar of soap.

but my point is the gooey bits do dry out and turn back to a solid

I didnt realsie so many of you read Take a Break.. :rolleyes:

:evil:

Sponsored Links
I work for one of the companies, which makes the fragrance for your liquid soap. If you had any idea of the restrictions on raw materials under which we labour and the number of people we employ for nothing other than product safety you'd know that liquid soap manufacturer is probably lying - it's easy to blame the fragrance when the problem is most likely to have come from one of the less regulated ingredients in the soap.

Bacteria love warm watery places so your home made liqid soap will smell okay for a while until the bacteria start to reproduce and it begins to smell bad. One of the ingredients in that liquid soap (which could also be causing your problem) will have been a powerful biocide, to prevent bacteria from growing in the water present. Without that biocide the product will go bad pretty fast unless you keep it in the fridge. You will then be washing your hands in a solution of E.Coli, Clostridium and a few of their nasty pals. These bacteria are already all over your old bar of soap just waiting for a bit of moisture; you might as well give them an Olympic swimming pool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back